Sunday, May 22, 2011

Just when I thought I'd left the World of Make-Believe...ooh! And footnotes!

Wow!

It has been quite a while since my last post! That is the one drawback of flying! *sigh*

Oh! What do I mean by that? Well, you see, a couple of weeks ago I streeeetched my wings and flew all the way to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania! It was the home (according to local legend and Wikipedia) of Gene Kelly and Dean Martin, Perry Como and Henry Mancini, Martha Graham, Gertrude Stein, Andy Warhol and one other verrry important person who will be mentioned later. Oh! Two! Two other very important people! Here's the first later mentioning - Boyfriend is from Pittsburgh! (That's why I was there - I didn't throw a porcupine quill at an atlas in a random destination quest.) 

Anywho. Pittsburgh, PA is rather different than my home in the Redwoods by the Sea...and while it was a very fun time, I didn't bring any of my usual Faerie Supplies with me - AND went incognito as a human the whole time! Yikes! It was, actually, the very longest time since I grew my grown-up wings ~*~ [footnote the first!] that I have spent without all of my accoutrements/in human disguise!

It went surprisingly well!

However, by the end of my visit I was (as my dear friend Eloise would say) "feeling rawther unusual" ! ~*~*~ [footnote the second!] And then...I saw it! The Magical World of Make-Believe! And many old friends who I had not seen since I was a very small faerie indeed!

I had no idea!!!

The very best shot I could get of the whole display


Lady Elaine Fairchilde
Cornflake S. Pecially (Corney)
                                      
                                                  Henrietta Pussycat and X the Owl





Yes indeedy do!

Oh! P.S. This is the other verrry important person from Pittsburgh that I mentioned earlier! Mister Fred Rogers. *sigh* I really wish I could wear cardigans like he did, but alas! When I try to make holes for my wings the wool tends to unravel.

One of my favorite things that Mister Rogers once said (oh, and yes - we Faeries visited him quite often!) was, "Eternity is made of invisible imperishable good stuff." And bumping into my old friends in the middle of the Pittsburgh Airport (I told you I was going incognito!) was certainly imperishable good stuff. 

Okey dokey, artichokies! (Or humans, faeries, elves, unicorns - I don't know who all looks at this, though I do understand I have quite the following among the "Cynara scolymae") That is all for now! Until next time...

Water Lilies and Wishing Wells,
Violet

P.S. Remember there were footnotes! They are addressed below.

*Grown-up wings. Yes. I am not actually entirely a grown-up? But that's the best way I could think to express it...see, at a certain point in each Faerie's life (and it can be completely different ages, depending on the Faerie) she grows her set of wings that make it possible for her to show herself to humans. I don't even know the characters I would type to convey the word that we have for that phase, so I just decided to call it "grown-up"!

**Eloise is a very dear friend of mine, she lives in a lovely hotel in The City. (I don't know which city, but I assume it is capitalized.) We became very dear friends when she once informed me that "getting bored is not allowed". I quite liked the rule, and have upheld it ever since!

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I do believe Eloise's hotel is in Paris! Don't tell me if it's not, I've always imagined Paris and I'm not willing to up and move quite yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear - sadly, Eloise lives at the Plaza Hotel in New York! Although, I do believe she has visited Paris...and I like to think she and Madeline got into all kinds of adventures ;)

    ReplyDelete